Moyvannion Castle, Roscommon, Restoration.
Detached three-bay two-storey castellated country house, built c.1860, with earlier three-stage tower house to south. Pitched slate roof with terracotta ridge tiles and Irish crenellations to parapet of house and tower house.
Moyvannan Castle is an interesting example of architecture evolving and adapting to new uses. The castle is composed of a sixteenth-century tower house and a later nineteenth-century extension. It has been used as a fortified house, church and now as guest accommodation for the present owners, Elan. The continuous crenelated parapet consolidates the various stages of construction phases and recalls castles of the post-medieval period.
Elliott Group were employed to restore the main castle back to its former splendour and also extend the castle to the rear to cater for the Elan Corporation plc. This magnificent listed castle was fully restored both internally and externally.
Design Team, Client & Value
Client: Elan Corporation PLC Ltd
Architect: Lorcan Lyons & Associates
Value: € 1.2 million